Monday, February 20, 2006

February reveal: "Sashiko sample"





Sashiko Quilt Journal

This picture doesn't do it justice because of the flash. It is deep black and there isn't any difference in black between the border and the center, therefore the white seems to 'float'.










For my February journal quilt I decided to explore Sashiko, the traditional Japanese style of decorative quilting. I bought a book called Sashiko some months ago and I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that the book was about machine quilting and not the traditional hand quilting, since hand quilting gives me neck and shoulder pain. Now, I understand completely that the seize of the journal quilt defeats a bit the style and purpose of sashiko quilting which consists of larger stitches, thicker thread and large patterns but decided to go ahead anyway.

The nice thing of the patterns given in the book is that she breaks down the pattern in continious lines going horizontal, vertical or diagonal and they are marked by different colors. By sewing the lines, gradually the pattern will appear. I decided to go for straight lines so I could use my walking foot, because curves with free motion would be to difficult in this small dimension.

I have a lot of books about techniques but seldom have the patience to read through the instructions and in general come up with my 'own' technique (read: short cuts LOL).
Her way is to make copies and draw over them with transfer pencils. After that you iron it on a tear away stabilazor. Since that seemed too much work for me I decided to trace the pattern on a thin foundation (dyper inlay) and pin that on the wrong side of the fabric. Next time I would use a coloured pen to see better the lines while sewing.


I put the thicker white machine thread in the bobbin so it would show on top. And I put black on top and put the tension in a way that it would show on top too and create the effect of an 'interupted' hand stitch.

I don't like to finish off (don't know the english word) a thread often so I let space between the different patterns to go out en re-enter the frame in a continious way. After I added the batting and backing I covered this space with black strips. In reality you see barely these strips, in the picture they're more visible.









I intended to border it with lace, but that was to overpowering in this small seize so I used a black fabric with large flower prints and a binding with smaller flower prints. Like I said the black is much deeper than in the picture.

I'm happy with my journal piece. It really opened my eyes that you can do many intricate and interesting quilting patterns with a walking foot and continious straight lines. I will try the curved ones in the near future.

16 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Marianne - Wow! You did a wonderful job adapting this to such a small format. I like the way you framed each sample hiding the crossover threads - I don't like to finish off either! Last month I was inspired to try new techniques... now I have to try this as well. Nice work!

5:11 PM  
Blogger Micki said...

I agree with Kim. You did a wonderful job with this. I like the simplistic look of the designs next to the floral border.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Your piece is really pleasing to look at. I like the contrast between the geometric lines and the floral print of the border. I never heard of Sashiko so your write-up about the process was very interesting.

6:15 PM  
Blogger jenclair said...

I've always loved the graphic simplicity of sashiko (and the indigo blue, of course!) so your journal quilt and explanation is really inspiring. I never thought about sashiko and machine quilting and this idea opens a whole new avenue, doesn't it?

Beautiful piece!

6:57 AM  
Blogger DebbyMc said...

Marianne,
Your sashiko quilt is beautiful. I love the traditional blue in this piece and the floral borders. I never would have thought about machine stitching sashiko, thank you for bringing the method to our attention! I am finding it so interesting that many of the journal quilts this time are Asian in feeling or design...
DebbyMc

7:44 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Brilliant! I really would not have thought of doing Sashiko by machine, and I like doing bobbin work. The idea of using the strips works well too.

Great instruction and a lovely little quilt. I will have to try this technique sometime. Jen

9:25 AM  
Blogger Granny Fran said...

I love the geometry of the quiltig designs and the flowered border contrasts beautifully. It is so exciting to find out that such complex designs can be machine quilted. Due to arthritic hands I'm always looking for quilting and embellishing methods that I can do on the machine.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

I really love this quilt. A new method for me to look into. It is a wonderful quilt.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Barbara C said...

Beautiful job! The idea of doing a sampler is great, and your compositon is lovely.

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the white on black! I've not looked at Sashiko before and I really like it.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Isn't this fun - trying all the new techniques without alot of commitment. Your Feb piece is nice.

5:21 AM  
Blogger PaigeTurner said...

You did a great job with this! What a striking little quilt!
Beth

1:27 PM  
Blogger Debra Dixon said...

I bought some Sashiko blocks on eBay that I am going to use for the ARTImage Challenge. My thought about the ones I bought is that they were done on an embroidery machine so it is interesting to see how you did yours for the challenge here.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Kay said...

I just bought this book, and really appreciate your comments and ideas on using it. Thanks.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Deborah M. said...

Very beautiful. I love Shashiko...want to try it someday.

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » » »

2:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home