Wednesday, January 25, 2006

January reveal "Three Frogs"


This will be the first time I'm uploading pictures, so I hope everything goes well. Allthough I admire some very personal aproaches in the journal quilts, I've choosen improving and exploring techniques as main goal, rather than expressing myself. To have something that will bind this monthly challenges together I've decided to focus on 'stitches' as theme.

For this month I decided to explore a bit more applique and intensive quilting. In my December Artimage Challenge I had a hard time with the raw edge applique of some frogs with satin stitch. I was relieved when it was done and decided to leave it alone so it wouldn't get spoiled. Since I had some spare frogs I decided to try another approach. This time I sewed the frogs on without the batting and backing which was slightly
easier. I didn't use fusible web (Steam a seam?) but basting spray which was a nice short cut but made the fabric fray more. I used invisible thread, that wasn't as invisible as I hoped, and I zigzagged instead of the satin stitch. It was better but I was still not that happy with the result (if this gets boring please skip, just would to like to write it down somewhere so I won't make the same mistakes over and over LOL).






In my challenge the frogs were just silhouettes, now I wanted to give them more detail by quilting/thread painting. I have very little experiences with differeent threads and there aren't many availbale where I live. I used Madeira Embroidery Thread which I alsways use for quilting. I didn't have a plan, but just started to free motion quilt (that might explain a bit why they have this Olily-look). I discovered that it really doesn't matter how neat or close to the edge you sew, it's like sketches with multiple lines, so that was a freeing experience for me. It wasn't exactly what I had in mind, but I'm happy for a start.





The quilting in the background I kept simple by meandering and imitating ripples in the blue to give the impression of water. The fabrics are hand dyed by me.

12 Comments:

Blogger Micki said...

Marianne,
You have an adorable little quilt. I think you did exceptionally well on you embroidery and quilting.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

I enjoy your frogs and pond. The stitching looks very nice and I like the border fabric you used to edge it all. It is a very attractive quilt.

3:33 PM  
Blogger jenclair said...

I love your frogs! The fabrics (gorgeous) and stitching on the frogs make me happy, and the binding really sets the whole thing off.

3:48 PM  
Blogger DebbyMc said...

I love your frogs, Marianne! And that background is gorgeous. The stitching really is wonderful...great job!

4:50 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Wonderful little frogs. I'm a big fan of raw edge applique and sketching with thread. These journal quilts are a great vehicle for experimenting. I bet you had fun. (Ever consider "sketching" in a lily pad?)

6:20 PM  
Blogger Pat/SWquilter said...

The colors in your quilt are gorgeous! And I love the detailed stitching you added. Great job!

12:06 PM  
Blogger Granny Fran said...

I love your frogs. The stitching on the frogs adds so much and the fabrics are lovely. And you were able to make something special out of your leftovers. Great creativity.

1:51 PM  
Blogger PaigeTurner said...

Beautiful thread painting--your frogs look so fun and playful! Love them!

2:04 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Marianne, I think your thread work is wonderful. The colors in your quilt are lovely, and I think the frogs have a lot of personality. Perfect choice of fabric for the water, too. Jen

8:40 AM  
Blogger Debra Dixon said...

Very Cool! I am pleased you went on for more technique exploration with the frogs!

8:41 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

I love your frogs! Geweldig! The colors are really beautiful.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. »

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home